Wednesday, October 9, 2013

I'm participating in the most awesome Quilt-along!! (Week 2 Section 1)

One thing that you may not know about me is that I'm an almost-38 year old who loves a mixture of the strangest things. Things that most people my age wouldn't be interested in. But I am. And I refuse to change.

I love video games. I love crafting. And not just quilting and knitting. I love painting and I love creating things made of polymer clay. I make duct tape wallets. I sprinkle glitter randomly. I doodle in meetings.  I fold origami cranes. I crochet the most kawaii cups of hot cocoa. I love horror movies and all things geek chic.

And that is why when I saw this Nyan Cat Quilt-along I couldn't resist the opportunity to jump in! I love the way the fantastic designer puts this together in different sections! Her directions are concise and she includes lots of diagrams and pictures. I'm so excited to follow her quilt-along! As of today I am behind in the group but since she posts the steps weekly, I'm sure I'll catch up. I just started cutting and sewing tonight and I've completed the first section. This quilt will be given to my oldest daughter who loves Nyan Cat also!

Here it is in all of its starry splendor:



Let me share with you information about this fabric. First of all, too many people have advised me against buying fabric from Wal-Mart. As a matter of fact, the lady in front of me in line at the cash register went on and on about the cheap quality of the fabric...blah...blah...blah. Guess what, my pocket was in Wal-Mart mode and Wal-Mart is where it lead me so there it is. And if I hadn't gone there I wouldn't have found this awesome galaxy print that I'm using as the background. It looks like a batik with sparkles. The white is actually a patterned fat quarter.

Hey quilters, do you ever get that overwhelming feeling of satisfaction when you piece something together and your seams line up perfectly? That was me tonight and I'm saying this because it doesn't happen all the time. When I sewed my pieces together and then peeled it back I practically did a victory dance in my sewing room!

2 comments:

  1. Great job on the first section! I'm so glad your pieces lined up like you wanted >w< I do a little happy dance too when that happens to me. My seams always like to shift at the very last second so the corners go out of whack x_x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting! I'm so glad this piece turned out well because if it hadn't I probably would have just given up right then and there!

      Delete